About St Peter's on Willis

Man preaching to church.

Haere mai
Welcome

We affirm the goodness of God’s creation in each and every human being–putting into practice our love of God and neighbour by embracing and including all in every aspect of worship regardless of sex, gender, sexual orientation, race, or faith. We seek to create a space that is safe--physically, spiritually, and emotionally--for all. We look to build God’s Kingdom here on earth not primarily through material gain or power or proselytisation but by actively seeking justice for all peoples.

Our Building

An Anglican church has occupied this site since 1847, situated between Te Aro Pā and Pipitea Pā. The present building has stood since 1879 and has strong historical value for the city, and strong spiritual and commemorative associations for the generations of parishioners who have worshipped in it.

Download more information about our building here.

Read more about the historic bells here.
Historic image of original St Peter's on Willis building.
Female bishop administering communion to man and child.

Our Anglican Identity

St Peter’s on Willis is an Anglican parish and a part of the Anglican Diocese of Wellington, and the broader province of the Anglican Church in Aotearoa, New Zealand, and Polynesia. We use A New Zealand Prayer Book for most of our services and worship gatherings. As an Anglican parish, we draw on different sources for our beliefs. Our doctrine is built upon Scripture, the ancient creeds, distinctive ways of worship, doctrinal statements, important texts, and continuing discussion.